"Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons." Bertrand Russell

Monday, May 29, 2006

Iran and Russian Roulette

Charles Krauthammer reveals more of his insightful suggestions for better diplomatic relations:

"You want us to talk? Fine. We will go there but only if you arm us with the largest stick of all: your public support for military action if the talks fail. The mullahs already fear economic sanctions; they will fear European-backed US military action infinitely more. Such negotiations might actually accomplish something."

I guess it should be dubbed 'Gun Point Diplomacy'.

Why in the name of liberal journalism does this guy get printed in the Irish Times?


Dear Madam,

I hope I don't speak just for myself when I say Charles Krauthammer's definition of 'negotiation' is becoming more unrecognisable by the day and while I appreciate his insightful suggestions for more productive diplomatic relations with Iran, I think 'Gun Point Diplomacy' is best left to Hollywood.

Yours sincerely,

|