"While many regions of the world offer great oil opportunities, the Middle East with two thirds of the world’s oil and the lowest cost, is still where the prize ultimately lies, even though companies are anxious for greater access there, progress continues to be slow."
"Oil is unique in that it is so strategic in nature. We are not talking about soap flakes or leisurewear here. Energy is truly fundamental to the world's economy. The  Gulf War was a reflection of that reality. The degree of government involvement also makes oil a unique commodity. This is true in both the overwhelming control of oil resources by national oil companies and governments as well as in the consuming nations where oil products are heavily taxed and regulated... It is the basic, fundamental building block of the world's economy. It is unlike any other commodity."(1)
Dick Cheney CEO Halliburton (1999)
"It's one of the best-kept secrets in Washington, and most of the records of Cheney's Dick Cheney's National Energy Policy Development Group (NEPDG) are *still* under lock-and-key. (Illegally, by the way, though it's not as if the Law matters any more). Judicial Watch only managed to obtain a few pages of those records.
The NEPD Group was convened in May 2001, and some might wonder whether an impending shortage of oil might not count as a *very* urgent reason to seek - or create - reasons to go to war in regions important to oil production.
But that would be a Conspiracy Theory.
"Last July, after appealing a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request for NEPDG documents, Judicial Watch won a small victory with the release of seven pages of NEPDG documents.
• A detailed map of all Iraqi oil fields (11% of world supply);
• A two-page specific list of all nations with development contracts for Iraqi oil and gas projects and the companies involved;
• A detailed map of all Saudi Arabian oil fields (25% of world supply);
• A list of all major oil and gas development projects in Saudi Arabia ;
• A detailed map of all the oil fields in the United Arab Emirates (8% of world supply);
• A list of all oil and gas development projects in the UAE;
The documents may be viewed online at:
2. From The Wilderness